Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tip # 5: Unobstruct Your Closet


The Closet Whisperer

If your closet could talk, what would it be saying about you?


As a Professional Organizer, I help inspire and motivate others to get unstuck from clutter, self-proclaimed junk, and other various roadblocks. My job is to guide people in creating a new vision for their obstructed space and then take action to remove anything that no longer serves the new space.

Having spent numerous hours working with closet clutter, I’m starting to believe I have developed a new gift as a “closet whisperer”. Working with hundreds of clients has allowed me the opportunity to observe, listen, and learn from the voices that are contained within the closet walls. Here are some of the “whispers” I overhear time and time again:

  • “Move over, I can hardly breathe. It’s tight in here. You think it is easy living in this box 24/7 surrounded by so many polyester blends. I’m almost positive EVEN the set designers for “That 70’s Show” would reject us as “has-beens”!”

  • “Pssst. What about us up here on this top shelf. We are in the land of the misfit clothing. We are tired of being the lost hopefuls. We get teased at the possibility of being worn, only to be rejected time and time again for missing buttons, fitting to tightly, sporting food stains, or simply because we no longer look our best.– Come on people haven’t you heard the saying, love us or leave us!”

  • “I’m tired of the competition; I mean how many black pants does one person need? Yeah, yeah, yeah, at first we were the new and exciting ones, but now we have become insignificant and mixed in with all of the others, that look just like us. You claim you don’t have favorites, I don’t believe it for a moment!”

  • “No one understands the loneliness of us loyalist in formal wear. I mean some of us have been here for 20 years and have NEVER seen the light of day. Oh I know, they have the best of intentions, but when that big moment comes…guess what….they go buy something new! We are left to mingle with the retired bridesmaid dresses of years gone by. I mean really, DID you think you would EVER wear us again? Why lead us on???”

    What would your closet’s conversations sound like?

    Like me, you too can become a closet whisperer. It is imperative that you set aside some time and listen to your closet; it is filled with wisdom and insight that can help launch you into a new and exciting fashion diva. Having tuned into the whispers, I’ve learned some practical strategies that you can use to release your clothing hostages and allow your closet the freedom to breath and work to your advantage. See below for four of my top tips.

    Tips from the whispers within:

1. Only keep clothes that fit perfectly and/or are fabulous (if you don’t know the answer, ask a trusted/loyal friend). A successful and leading fashionista working in the Boston area told me at a seminar “Keeping clothes in your closet that do not FIT or look FABULOUS creates a false sense of reality!”-Ginger Burr http://www.gingerburr.com/

2. Identify the colors that look best on you! This simple free test will allow you to identify your seasonal color palette, so you can add variety to your wardrobe: http://www.colormebeautiful.com/seasons/index.html

3. Use your closet for clothes ONLY; don’t use it as a dumping ground for any and all storage. Honor your clothes by giving them the proper space they need to serve you well when you need them!

4. After you sort, purge, and assemble your new closet space, assess what items you need to make complete outfits. No more great skirts without matching tops. Keep a list so that when you go shopping you’re not enticed to buy ANOTHER pair of black slacks. Only buy what is on the list! This will keep you focused. Here is a checklist of essentials for your closet: http://www.thechicfashionista.com/wardrobe-essentials.html

By listening to the voices within your closet, you will gain valuable insight into the steps you need to take to unobstruct your wardrobe.

Do you need help organizing your closet and need an accountability partner? E-mail me at Juliann@theunobstuctedview.com and let talk about ways I might be able to help you!


Unobstruct your view!

Juliann

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love this! Not just because you mention me (thank you!) but because you make the advice so accessible and charming! I love the conversations the clothes are having all by themselves -- I can just picture it. I'm sure you've just helped a lot of people make some inroads in organizing their closet (remember, you open this closet one or more times a day, so having it be a joyful experience is so important to how your day begins!), Thank you, Juliann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually very envious that you're a "professional organizer." That's my dream job! For years people have been making fun of me for cleaning out their "junk drawers" and all this time they should have been paying me! LOL!! Lately I'm somewhat focused on the dream job of motivational speaker but I'm still envious of you!

    ReplyDelete