Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tip # 3: Unobstruct Your Health

Doctors…do they have to be so darn honest…would it hurt them to just sugar coat it for us during the “non-life threatening” diagnosis. After all, they are human. Don’t they know when we reach a certain age it’s not just about the sagging, drooping, receding body parts …it's self preservation of the ego that is on the line!

If you dare, listen in on some of my most recent doctor’s visits:

Primary Care: “Juliann…looking at the BMI chart it shows you are currently in the overweight column, we really need to address this issue immediately, especially at your age” (My friends think this type of honesty is reason enough to start divorce proceedings based on irreconcilable differences),

Optometrists-“Juliann looks like you’re ready for your first pair of reading glasses, I knew it was only a matter of time...ha ha ha” (What is it with the aging jokes all the sudden?),

Gynecologists-“Juliann your blood test indicate you are quickly moving towards that unavoidable stage called perimenopause, nothing you can do, its part of life!(Are you kidding me…..now that is for OLD LADIES),

Ok, Ok, Ok, yes I see your point; after all they did take that oath! The silver lining is that the honesty was a wake-up call for me to start getting my “medical health” in order. As an organizer, I spend my days de-cluttering space for others, yet the one prime piece of real-estate that I own and occupy (MY BODY) remains obstructed. With this revelation, I begin making my way to a better standard of health. Here are three ways I’m currently focus on regaining my ego and health:

1. I keep an updated medical chart of all of the doctors I need to visit for maintaining my wellness. Here is a brief and simple list of my columns for each doctor

  • Type of doctor (Dentist)
  • Doctors contact information (Bill Smith/23 Main Street/Watertown, MA/617-923-1168)
  • Frequency of visits (2X per year)
  • Last visit (8/1/09)
  • Results (No cavities/full x-rays)


2. I’m working with a fitness partner to support me in keeping on track. (She is a friend who isn’t afraid to kick my butt when necessary)

3. I utilize a FREE on-line software program that allows me to log my daily food and exercise output. It processes the information and can provide reports & tips based on the my own personal entries http://www.fitday.com/


HOMEWORK: Create a list of ways you can pro-actively unobstruct your health. Select one action item and complete it this week! Need help? Email me at mailto:julianntov@gmail.com and let me know your plans.

Unobstruct your view!
Juliann

1 comment:

  1. Set up my Fitday journal today. (like I need one more project plan to track). But I am interested to see how this works. I just rememberd I forgot to declare the 2 scoops of ice cream. Damn you, Fit Day!!

    ReplyDelete